Home

Monday, November 16, 2009

Finding Motivation

After 3 months of transition I finally feel like this is our life in Germany. From finding a job, having a routine, making friends, finding a church and small group, and joining a gym. I am very excited to say this and even more pumped to get into a regular routine. Don't get me wrong I like the fly by the seat of your pants life and I know by living here there will be plenty of that, but I need structure to be productive. So that being said this post is about finding motivation to lose weight. I know some of you might be saying but Marisa you look fine well 4 years after college I can say I have put on a few pounds each year and they are starting to add up.  My friend Nikki has started a blog about staying healthy and my friend Jason writes daily updates as accountability for his weight lost journey. I figured if I put it out in the universe and told all my friends that I want to lose 20 pounds by April then maybe just maybe it might happen. By losing 20 pounds I will be back to the weight I was when I graduated college and back to the recommended weight for my height. One thing to keep in mind I am very good at starting things it is the sticking with them for the long haul that I have trouble with.
So the plan:
I will be working out in the gym 3 days a week and doing interval running for 30 minutes. I play volleyball for the local team in Frankfurt called Eintracht (more on that in another post) and I practice with them 2 days a week and a game on the weekends. I have also thought about to kick start this I will also run on the days I have practice for 30 minutes, we will see how that goes this week. So far I have been in the gym for 2 weeks and feel great. My co-trainer for my volleyball team actually works at the gym Justin and I go to and he has made us each an individual plan. For me it is low weight high reps in a circuit type of format. I have been playing volleyball for 2 months and I finally feel like I am moving quicker and actually can do some things I used to be able to do. We are talking 6 days a week with physical activity and I am hoping it will be fun with the variety. One thing I must say is that I love working out, but only once I am there doing the workout and I know lots of you can relate. When I am finished with a workout and totally sweating it feels so good. I am hoping that by doing this I can create a better attitude of working out and that it becomes a lifestyle for me. I want to look forward to working out and enjoy it.
I really think for me to lose the weight it is going to come down to my eating. I will say I do eat a lot healthier here and smaller portions. So I am sure I have lost a few pounds already, but as you know losing those last pounds can be very hard so I am going to be extra careful with what I eat. I am going to cut the butter, cheeses, condiments, extra sugars, limit beer drinking (come on I live in Germany let's be real), cut down on carbs, and of course drinking lots of water. I am fortunate to have a fresh market  right down the street from me twice a week and I plan to load up on fruits and veggies. I am not an expert, but I have trained enough and learned a ton from being a college athlete (thanks to Scott and Rob) and being obsessed with Biggest Loser to know what I need to do, but it is actually putting that into practice. That being said I am always open to your ideas. If you have some success stories or great recipes please feel free to share. One thing I am looking for is healthy recipes. I need to try new foods like eggplant and any recipes using healthy options would be great. One question I have too is should I count calories and I am leaning towards yes just because it is 20 pounds and I think to do that I will need to know if I am burning more than I am eating. Your thoughts?
That is the plan and I hope by sharing it with all of you, you can be the encouragement I need when I am a month in and just want to sit at home and eat some cookies. I want to be serious about this and in the past I started off strong and then just fallen off. I am hoping like my friend Jason to take it one day at a time and if I slip up to not get discouraged and just continue on the path of good health. It comes down to choices and I am hopping I have the discipline and commitment to be able to make good choices everyday, every meal, every workout and every snack. Like I said this will not be easy at first but I am hoping it becomes part of me and eventually very natural. If you are wondering about Justin he is very supportive and actually into parts of it too. He is also back in the gym 3 days a week and playing soccer once a week. I am very thankful to have a husband who encourages and supports my efforts to have a healthy life and also a healthy family.
Hopefully in 6 months when I am back in the states for a visit you will see a healthier ME!!!
Thanks everyone ahead of time for all your love and support! Now off for a run......


Before picture...Nov. 16,  2009



Where I want to be. I know this isn't a great picture, but it is the motivation of where I want to be. Back to my weight at college graduation.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...